Pre-conference workshop on „Digital humanities and the technologies of the semantic web: decolonizing description for the sake of digital humanities” at the International Symposium of Information Science (ISI 2015, Zadar).
Organizers: Marijana Tomić, Manuel Burghardt, Mirna Willer, Anne Gilliland & Gordon Dunsire; In cooperation with: Theresa Zammit Lupi
10:00 – 11:30
- Prof. Anne Gilliland, PhD & Prof. Mirna Willer, PhD. Implications of the
Information Multiverse for Bibliographic and Archival Information
- Gregory Rolan. Beyond the collection: the network as archive
- Giovanni Michetti, PhD, Assistant Professor. Unneutrality of archival standards and processes
Coffee break 11:30-12:00
12:00 – 13:30
- Gordon Dunsire, Consultant. Linked data & paradigm shift: from the (catalogue) record to the statement (triple) in OWA (presented by Prof. Mirna Willer, PhD)
- Marijana Tomić, PhD, Assistant Professor. Research data in humanities and OWA
- Theresa Zammit Lupi, PhD (Skype). The design of a database as a research tool for the study on a collection of musical manuscripts
Lunch 13:30 – 14:30
14:30 – 16:00
- Prof. Christian Wolff, PhD. Challenges of Description in a Multi-Lingual, Diachronic Corpus Project
- Manuel Burghardt, PhD. Description of Dramatic Texts for Quantitative Analysis
- Marijana Tomić, PhD, Assistant Professor. Visual tagging of digitized manuscripts and incunabula with DocMark software
- Manuel Burghardt, PhD. Encoding and Analyzing a Large Corpus of German Folk Music – A Case Study
Coffee break 16:00 – 16:15
16:15 – 17:00 Final discussion moderated by workshop organizers
- Download program (PDF)
Call for Participation
The 14th International Symposium of Information Science (ISI) will be held from May 19-21, 2015, in Zadar (Croatia). A pre-conference workshop on „Digital humanities and the technologies of the semantic web: decolonizing description for the sake of digital humanities” will take place on May 18, 2015.
Participation is open to (1) workshop presenters, and (2) general participants interested in attending the workshop. Workshop registration via email is required.
If you are planning to participate as a presenter, please send a position paper (1-2 pages) to
Marijana Tomić (University of Zadar) or Manuel Burghardt (University of Regensburg) until April 26, 2015.
Participants who have had their position paper accepted by the workshop organizers will have approx. 10 minutes time to present their topic to the other participants. All topics will then be discussed in the workshop. For a list of potential topics please refer to the detailed workshop description on the ISI 2015 website: http://isi2015.de/?page_id=791
We are looking forward to see you at the pre-conference workshop in Zadar. If you have any questions please contact the workshop organizers.